First post, progress report!
Get ready for the biggest Ruffle announcement yet! And the first one on the blog!
Huge improvements to Ruffle’s AVM1 engine accuracy!
Thanks to a massive code refactor by @CUB3D, dozens upon dozens of ActionScript 2 games have been fixed! Here are just a few of them:
- Chibi Knight: https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/526470
- Xeno Tactic 2: https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/438241/format/flash?emulate=flash
- Trojan War: https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/604949/format/flash?emulate=flash
- Frontline Defense: https://www.kongregate.com/games/kazama_bee/frontline-defense-first-assault
- Bubble Bobble: The Revival: https://flasharch.com/en/archive/play/084db17094dc7452f01da0905d7eb516
- Cube Colossus: https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/507205/format/flash?emulate=flash
- Chronotron: https://www.kongregate.com/games/Scarybug/chronotron
- The Powerpuff Girls: Attack of the Puppybots: https://flasharch.com/en/archive/play/b93354279e9788b849f83ef78f52cbbb
- Extreme Pamplona: https://flasharch.com/en/archive/play/e36aac73914ec8672218317e000615d7
Incredible progress in AVM2 (ActionScript 3) support!
- Our website now has a page listing exactly what ActionScript 3 APIs we have implemented, making it easy to follow our progress. It will be frequently updated! https://ruffle.rs/avm2.html
- XML support is rapidly improving! ActionScript 3 games tend to use a wide variety of XML methods. As Ruffle gains support for these methods, games are springing to life!
- Several problems that caused unresponsive buttons and menus have been fixed. Unclickable buttons in ActionScript 3 games are (mostly) a thing of the past!
- Other major refactors are in progress to improve Ruffle’s compatibility with ActionScript 3 frameworks like Haxe.
- @Aaron1011 is working on Stage3D support! Thanks to his work, the gorgeous interstellar strategy game Solarmax 2 is now fully playable in Ruffle on the desktop player! Check out the video below.
Many of the fan-favorite Flipline games are now playable! Check them out:
- Papa’s Burgeria: https://www.kongregate.com/games/FliplineStudios/papas-burgeria
- Jacksmith: https://www.kongregate.com/games/FliplineStudios/jacksmith
- Papa’s Cheeseria: https://www.flipline.com/games/papascheeseria/index.html (requires the Ruffle Chrome extension)
- Papa’s Bakeria: https://www.flipline.com/games/papasbakeria/index.html (requires the Ruffle Chrome extension)
Here are just a few more of the many ActionScript 3 games that are playable today in Ruffle!
- Canabalt: https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/510303
- Bloons Tower Defense 3: https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/463445/format/flash?emulate=flash
- Diggy: https://www.kongregate.com/games/Vogd/diggy
- Wooden Path 2: https://www.kongregate.com/games/Remivision/wooden-path-2
- Fracuum: https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/594354
- Dino Run: Marathon of Doom: https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/566176
Last but not least, support for mobile devices is improving in a big way!
- Text input boxes are finally supported on mobile devices! Tapping on a text box within Flash content now brings up the soft keyboard, so you can type into it without using a bluetooth keyboard or other workarounds.
- The context menu finally works on iOS! It is activated by a long-press on the screen. To stop this behavior if needed, simply tap the “Hide this menu” option.
We have even more improvements coming very soon!
- The latest releases now have dynamic audio buffering, making audio playback in the most demanding content much smoother! (Thanks to @szőlő)
- A bug that causes some AVM2 games’ intro sounds to repeat over and over will soon be fixed. (Thanks to @Aaron1011)
- @Dinnerbone is working on improving drawing accuracy for thin/hairline strokes and scaled objects. You can follow his progress here: https://github.com/ruffle-rs/ruffle/pull/9981